Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Shipshewana Quilt Festival I


Hi everyone! I'm back from the Shipshewana Quilt Festival and I'm beginning to upload some quilts for you.  I'm starting with the big ribbon winners and some gorgeous traditional quilts. I've also given you some closeup shots of the quilting. (Amazing stuff!)

 I've posted a LOT more on my facebook page, and can't face doing it all again here. Soooo, if you want to see more, you'll have to go there. Here is a link to my quilting page, called Patchworks that Praise - FB Shipshewana Album



Let's start off with Best of Show  - Eureka! By Marilyn Badger

Eureka! by Marilyn Badger

Don't you love her colors! WOW, they are vibrant. The quilting is wonderful - she did the quilting. I was fortunate to see this quilt at the Wisconsin Quilt Expo a couple of years ago.  She paper pieced this quilt with silks and cottons.

Here is a detail shot of a bit of the quilting and the ribbon border.

Detail, Eureka by Marilyn Badger

First Place, Applique Small went to Margaret Solomon Gunn for her Springtime in the Geisha's Garden

Springtime in the Geisha's Garden by Margaret Solomon Gunn 
 And, here is a detail of her applique and quilting. Doesn't that golden greeny background color make those pink colors pop? I don't think I would have chosen that color if I saw it on a  bolt, it is not a color I normally like very much. But her choice is brilliant. (As is her quilting.)

Springtime in the Geisha's Garden by Margaret Solomon Gunn 
 If you follow the world quilting competition, you undoubtedly know of Claudia Pfeil. This is her quilt called Fern Rising, it is a new one from her collection of masterpieces. Claudia won Best Machine Quilting this year.
Fern Rising by Claudia Pfeil
 And here is a detail from her quilt. Look at all the quilting and the 3 dimension effects from the shadowing of her patchwork circles. Not to mention all her tiny pieces of patchwork!

Detail, Fern Rising by Claudia Pfeil
 Our next ribbon winner is called Red Feathers and it was made by Claudia Clark Myers and quilted by Marilyn Badger. Claudia won 1st Place Mixed Techniques - Large.  In this quilt, the mariner's compass blocks are feathers. Once Marilyn finished quilting it, they painted the quilted feathers. 

Red Feathers by Claudia Clark Myers
 And here is a detail photograph showing you just a bit of the intricate design. 

Red Feathers detail, by Claudia Clark Myers
 Green Miles is the name of this next ribbon winner. The Quilter is Peggy Kragnes and she won 1st Place Pieced - Large.  She collected all the green fabrics along a 7000 mile road trip with a very patient husband.  (We LOVE those kind.)

Green Miles by Peggy Kragnes
 It is really hard to get a good photo of the quilting, it is white on white. Here is the best I could do though. I like how she didn't choose just one white fabric. By varying the whites she added extra texture and dimension ; she has a richer background for her green stars.

Green Miles by Peggy Kragnes
 I thought this traditional quilt was just fabulous.  It is called Blue Moon and it was made by Marilyn Badger.  She pieced this pattern which was from Claudia Myer's book A Passion for Piecing.  Claudia quilted this quilt. I love the contrast between the warm and cool colors and all the variety of her blues, oranges and brown fabrics. 

Blue Moon by Marilyn Badger
 You can see all the subtle shades she used in her piecing and Claudia's quilting is perfection. (As usual).  They frequently team up and their quilts are always spectacular.  I look forward to seeing more of their quilts. 

Blue Moon detail, by Marilyn Badger
 My last quilt for this entry is called Glacier Star "Just for Fun"and the quilter is Penny Marble. She based the quilt on Judy Niemeyer's Glacier Star pattern.  

Glacier Star "Just for Fun" by Penny Marble
 Here is a detail of the quilting which was done by Patty Cline of Chestnut Bay Quilting

Detail, Glacier Star by Penny Marble
Well that is all for now. I'll be posting a few more of my favorites here but really, if you want to see a lot more from this show, check out my facebook.  You do NOT have to be registered on facebook to look at the album photos of quilts.  As always, comments are welcome.  Ted and I had a lot of fun camping that weekend, and Shipshewana is a beautiful little city. 

No comments:

Post a Comment