Friday, January 15, 2016

Irises - Done

Irises by Cathy Geier
 I managed to get a little quilting done this week - yay me! Today I finish putting the faced binding on this quilt and then I'm on to the next little project I need to finish up. 




Detail of the leaves and stems

 A couple of months ago I showed you some of the 'in progress' photos of this little quilt. If you want to see them, here is a link to those previous blogs.

Arranging the Strips

and 


The leaves became much more dimensional after I quilted them and then used a couple of green fabric dye markers as well as a white marker to highlight them. It was so easy to add a bit of color and brightness that way. (You can see the leaves before quilting in the link above.)  
I chose to quilt the sky with a variegated thread and softly meandered around in horizontal meander, if that makes sense, lol. 

Sky quilting
 For the quilting in the water I used a blue variegated thread and just made wavy horizontals. 
Water quilting
I know I usually write bigger blog posts and have a LOT more photographs, etc. But today it is just this simple quilt. I'm quite pleased with the way it turned out and I hope I can find a place to hang it in my house!

If you have my book, you know it would be easy to make something like this for yourself - all the tools are there in my book. Just find your perfect flowers and then choose sky colors in values which are softer and lighter than the colors in your flowers.  

One of the reasons this scene is so peaceful is because the backdrop of the flowers is the sky and they are in the same color palette. Plus, blues and greens are soothing.

This is a good lesson for me, too,  come to think of it.

Well, back to my sewing room. My machine is wearing out by the way - I'll be needing a new one soon and I'm open to suggestions.  My current sewing machine has become quite persnickety about threads.

Comments Welcome!  

4 comments:

  1. I really like the colors and contrasts along with the brightness of this piece. It makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara. Your comment makes me smile, too. :)

      Delete
  2. What is a faced binding? I just found your blog today. Someone had posted a picture of one of your quilts on facebook. WOW you do wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! A faced binding is where the edges of the quilt are finished with a binding that pulls them to the back side of the quilt. I think I've done a how-to blog showing how I do it...
      Yep, I did. If you scroll up and look in the right you'll see a list of Labels. Look for one that says Faced Bindings and you'll see what this is about. :)

      Delete