Monday, March 17, 2014

Playing with Bright Floral Scraps


Scrap Garden by Cathy Geier
Do you have bright floral scraps? I have an idea for you! It was a long hard winter here in Wisconsin and as I look forward to Spring and flowers and all colors except white, gray and brown, I thought I'd bring out this wall hanging I made using squares of scraps. I have lots of leftovers from the days when I made watercolor quilts. LOTS. 

If you look carefully you can see how I arranged all these scraps into light, medium and dark values and colors. I used the darkest values to make the interlocking squares in the middle of the quilt.

The medium values are arranged in bars around these, there are also bars in the border.  The light values are everything else, but those were arranged in 'squares' of 4 patches wherever possible.

The inner border was pieced using dark values and just for fun I kept the cool colors on the top and left, and the warm colors on the bottom and right.

Originally I didn't plan on fusing any flowers on top.  But as I said, I was longing for spring.



Morning glory flowers twine up the center of the wall hanging and I pretended that some of the dark intertwining squares were really flower pots so I added pansies to them.


Here are a couple more details, just for fun.
(In case you need more color, too!)




Once you arrange all your squares on your design wall, you have to sew them together.  This can be more easily done though if you use a tear-away foundation to piece.  (This technique is taught in my book Watercolor Landscape Quilts, which you can get for cheap now on Amazon since it is almost out of print.)


As always, I welcome your comments! Let me know if you have any questions. 


No comments:

Post a Comment