|Overhanging Oak Branches 2017|
Hi everyone! It's been a while since I blogged I know. I've been busy with regular life and one of the big changes is that I'm finally an empty nester. I thought things were supposed to slow down for those of us in this stage of life... so far that hasn't happened. Anyway, I'll be on the road teaching a lot this year so I'll blog when I can but it won't be a big year for blogs I'm afraid.
This quilt will eventually have it's own Page because RJR is going to make kits of the fabrics to sell. Stay tuned - I don't know when the pattern will be available. Most of the batiks I used to make it came from their new Malam Batiks and they are glorious light weight soft batiks - I really like them.
Last blog had me finishing the background pond water. I arranged my big branches on the quilt top and someone came down into my sewing room to get some attention. (We love our kitty cats don't we?! I have to keep packing tape right by my sewing machine so I can peel off the hair from my quilt top before I quilt!)
With 3 dogs and a cat there is a lot of hair floating around in my house.
|Finished quilt top|
Once the quilt top was done I needed to figure out borders. If you know me from facebook, you'll remember that I posted this photo of 3 possibilities and asked for advice... As many people there are following me on facebook there are opinions, lol.
As you can see from the above pic, I could have gone with no borders, the dark turquoise border and the dark turquoise with a fuchsia narrow inner border. Most people really liked the dark blue with the fuchsia (see below) but a few mentioned that it cut off the tree branches too much on the left...
|They liked this color border the best|
Then a wonderful Master Quilter (Claudia Myers) suggested a bi color border with a lighter open fabric on the top and left sides.... Hmmm. Very interesting. I tried this - too light don't you think? Both these border strips were in the turquoise blue family.
|Not quite right...|
From there I decided I needed a medium value and not a light one and looked at this green.
|Ah Ha! Perfect.|
I liked the inner fuchsia border on the right and bottom, but it cut off the top left so I didn't put it there. Here is the finished quilt top. I ended up bringing more leaves into the border area on the top so it gives the impression of the branches growing out of the top of the quilt - I like that.
|Finished quilt top|
After the quilting was done I soaked it in cold water for a minute or two, spun most of the water out of it and blocked it. I was worried about any of the bold colors bleeding so I pressed it with a hot iron and cotton press cloth to quickly get it damp dry and not soaking. Then I let it lay flat overnight.
Once it was blocked and dried I added my binding - I chose the dark turquoise to tie the whole quilt together. That turquoise was used in the landscape and the border so everything blends nicely.
I hope you like it!
|Overhanging Oak Branches, 34 x 45 inches|
The only other thing I did that was 'quiltely' interesting was to get out some watercolor pencils and color some trees so I could see if this fabric would work in a project I'm getting together. Using these pencils is easy and once the paint is dry press the fabric with a hot iron and the dye is permanent.
|Watercolor pencils on fabric|
Well that's all for me this time. I'm off to start cutting kits for classes next month. I'll be teaching my Strip Applique class a lot this year (that is the technique I used in this quilt) and this means I'm cutting a lot of strips. Thousands of strips...
Any questions and comments would be welcome.
Happy Quilting everyone!